Friday, May 22, 2015

I can understand why they say so, because, unfortunately, feminism has a bad reputation. Some peopl

"Do not tell me sexism does not exist!" "Streets of Sugar Skip to Content
Interview with Kate Nash Kate Nash is a musician, feminist, had their first number 1 hit with 20 and has now released their third album "Girl Talk" recently. We talked to her about sexism in the music industry, their political commitment in Ghana and racism in England. SAZ: You have a new band, your own record label, playing bass and piano no. Why have you funded the album with crowdfunding?
Kate Nash: I just had a strange time, had quite a bit of shit experienced and wanted me there simply by working, I have continued to write on my album. If I had not published the album, I would have probably womens day nz crazy, that was important for my mental state. During production, the label has kicked me suddenly.
Your music is sometimes very personal. You said in an interview that you can express certain things in songs that you otherwise could not say. How do you feel when you those songs then before hundreds of people play and sing along with the testimony of you that were sometimes very painful? Last year, many of the things at stake in my songs, still very timely for me. I thought then, "what am I doing here?" I try to get over it, each new night, I suggest me around with it and then I have to remind you constantly singing. Sometimes I'm on the verge of crying on stage. But it will be easier after some time and the songs change and let me think of something else.
Few artists call themselves a feminist and oppose sexism. Björk has said, for example: "If I would describe myself as a feminist, I would isolate myself". What do you think such statements?
I can understand why they say so, because, unfortunately, feminism has a bad reputation. Some people believe that feminists would allegedly only hate men. There are many discussions and not a clear feminism. For me feminism is something very positive, it empowers me, and it's great when I can use for women and if I can improve the situation for girls. I think women and girls should be able to make their own decisions instead of having to listen to all the time that they are not good enough or that they can not achieve this or that. It should be possible to determine how we want to live.
As part of the "Because I am a Girl 'initiative you're also traveled to Ghana, have made with local people playing music together. As you have noticed that there are not dangers as white, rich singer in the pitfalls of "White Charity" to fall and racism, without wanting to reproduce?
I did not feel a hierarchy and it is not really "Charity", because they are given the opportunity to empower themselves. For example, they give the 15-year-old girl there the means to take their lives into their own hands can. I have also seen how these girls with other talk about things like sexual assault, bullying and prevention.
You also have support people who have lost their homes in 2011 after the riots in London. We have noticed it only through the media, but how do you assess womens day nz the role of racism as a cause of the riots?
It went in the riots at the beginning especially to racism, yes it has begun that a black boy was shot dead by a policeman. The protests became independent then and it was no longer about racism, but about issues of English Arbeiter_innenklasse. Of the murdered boy, the family then has distant. womens day nz The riots were then copied in other cities, but not for the original reason.
Something womens day nz there just when there is a right-wing government. But generally speaking, you realize that something is going wrong. I think sometimes, I had grown up in a bubble: I had very liberal parents, I went to a performing arts school, there were a wide variety of people, different sexualities womens day nz and religions. I'm sure that there are many problems with racism, and anti-Semitic attacks, but I am not directly affected, so I can not tell you how it feels.
I participated in a project for young girls, in which they learned instruments and wrote poetry. It was great to see how the girls have developed. That was real empowerment, because it's all about self-confidence. This shit girl magazines give you a bad feeling, telling them they were ugly and fat. In addition, we have a lot of talk before we transpose this project together. Initially h

No comments:

Post a Comment