Wednesday, May 13, 2015

In real life he is Gregg Gillis (28) and is from Pittsburgh. The new album


Subscription info Display Cooperative I taz.zahl Panter international women s day 2012 Price Shop ePaper Archive Café Lab 2015 New Panter Foundation taz.am weekend zeozwei House Blog Blogs Travels international women s day 2012 in the civil society movement Le Monde diplomatique CONTEXT: weekly foreign research funds help
taz: Mr. Gillis, your new Girl Talk album 'All Day' has just been published. It is 71 minutes long and consists of 372 samples of famous pop songs. And you have obtained in any single permission to use them. How is it that you do not sit in jail?
Gregg Gillis: In the United States there is this legal principle of "fair use" is. Music After sampling without permission may be also - if certain criteria are met. For example, with the sample When something new is created really. Or if there is no negative impact on potential sales of the artist produced. 'All Day' is my fifth album - and I think most artists see now that what I am doing them no harm.
I think I influence her record sales are not negative - on the contrary. I have a relatively new fan base - and if I sample older songs, it may even be that young people rediscover old bands, because they have heard it in my tracks. Ideally, my goal is my music, to create something new. One can identify well the samples in my music, international women s day 2012 you hear them and know which are the pop songs. But I do not just want to just use, I mean to create something new that is not the starting material in competition.
It was long rumored that you are practically one foot in jail. But now there are theories that the music industry is afraid to sue - because such a precedent could be created that allows sampling. Share this view?
In real life he is Gregg Gillis (28) and is from Pittsburgh. The new album "All international women s day 2012 Day" by the artist can be downloaded completely free of charge as a continuous 71 minute long MP3 file. Here is the link to download and here to Torrent. Of particular interest is the link to stream the album with an indication of the sampled songs that each run, the mash-up break-down.
What am I doing, moves in a gray area. There can not be a hundred percent legal, until it comes to trial. Because fair use is not a law but a rule of law. But I think most people think that you will be sued if one is sampling the song from someone else without permission. international women s day 2012 Or that you have to pay a lot of money for it.
If there would be a process that a lot of coverage would bring, the light would draw that there is such a thing as fair use at all. And if we win, then that many people would open their eyes, that they can do that. That's why I think a lot of people who are dealing with music copyright, would like to avoid this precedent. That's why it makes perfect sense that they currently do not worry about what I'm doing.
Of course no one wants to go to court. But I would definitely do it - because I believe in what we do. To use things from the past and from it to create something new, is not a bad idea. Around the world there are people who are enthusiastic about this idea. If we would thus get into trouble, there is certainly a decent legal reaction from people who would like to ourselves and our reasoning highly represented.
I've always strived to be a musician. But I have no idea if people see me so. I can not play a traditional musical instrument. But I think also it is possible to be a musician. Because I try to make new music.
This means to combine on the new album Aphex Twin with Lady Gaga and the rappers international women s day 2012 Souja Boys. Where do you get such a wild combinations? Listen to a track and know what suits it? Or that is the result of long Laptopgefrickel?
That's not particularly intuitive for me. Rather, I try a lot and little work. I constantly sample songs and try combinations. Aphex Twin and Soulja Boys - that has not put together in my mind, but on the computer. "Windowlicker" by Aphex Twin is one of my favorite songs. I played it for years in countless remixes - but it took four or five years, until I finally found the right combination for a cool version.
I do not want to pack on my album, if I do not have a feeling that in fact something musically interesting results from the combination. For the 372 samples that you can now listen to the album, I've been working with snippets of more than 2,000 songs. Since there are many more flops than hits.
I never want to push actively certain artists

No comments:

Post a Comment